Dodges Ferry Primary School Association AGM 2016
Chairperson’s Report by Caroline Hyland
I would like to thank all committee members and the wonderful school office staff for all your support in my first year as chairperson of the association. It takes a great team effort and combined enthusiasm to have the productive year that we have had.
Our successes include:
- Welcoming Pieta McKay as our Principal for the year. Pieta has taken on the role with great enthusiasm and passion, and we thank her for all her hard work and support. She continues on from the great work done by Andy Bennett.
- A very successful school fair in November 2015. Due to the huge effort lead by Serena How we raised nearly $10 000.
- Liaising with the Sorell Council regarding safe road crossings and future growth of the Dodges Ferry area.
- Friends of Lagoon Park sub-committee with the help of Sorell Rotary, Kerry Howlett, and community helpers have repaired the shelter shed and completed the wonderful Farm and Lagoon mosaic panels. Plans for a “Ralph’s Ferry” sculptural mosaic are underway. Claire Boost from the community garden will lead a professional learning session for Dodges Ferry teachers in October and Lagoon Park signage and interpretation materials are also being planned.
- A highlight of the year was our wonderful road safety video made with funding from our road safety grant. The red carpet premiere rivalled anything seen in Hollywood! Many thanks to Lynsey and Ang for all the hard work they have contributed to its success.
- Providing input into proposed changes to the Education Act.
- Organising world renowned author and parent educator Steve Biddulph to speak at Dodges Ferry Primary School in October this year.
Our fundraisers include the very successful school fair, our ever popular BBQ’s, and selling Entertainment books, school logos and school bags, and Krispy Kreme donuts. These fundraisers have provided funds for:
- continuation of Grow & Learn at the community garden for terms 1 and 2
- a portable music trolley
- science equipment
- drama resources
- second hand BBQ
- new house banners in partnership with the local sewing group
- transport to interschool sport events and the grade 6 camp
- book resources for “Raising the bar” literacy programme
I would like to thank Amanda McKinnon who is resigning from the committee for all her support and efforts as a parent member. Many thanks also to Lynsey for all her wonderful secretarial work, Luke for his financial number crunching, and Bruce for being my deputy!
I look forward to continuing my involvement with the School Association over the next year.
DFPSA Chairperson 2015-16