Dodges Ferry Primary School Association Inc
Annual General Meeting – 13 August 2015
Thank you once again to our committee members, our families and all the other volunteers who have contributed valuable time and talents to School Association activities over the past financial year. Highlights include:
- the enthusiastic school and community reaction to the Orb 4 play equipment installed in October 2014, funded by our $20,000 donation after a hard slog fundraising since 2012 at BBQs, raffles and the 2013 school fair, topped up with a $1500 Sorell Council community grant
- continuing the Outdoor Classroom project, with cumbungi busting, shelter shed working bees, mosaics workshops and forming the Friends of Lagoon Park sub committee to see it forward – official naming, more art work and signage, wetlands and history workshops and a management plan are the next priorities
- the roadside message sign being used more effectively to share news of significant school events, something we had advocated for several years
- making a submission to the state government’s review of the Education Act, including a proposal to simplify school association governance and administration – many thanks to Luke Rutherford for bringing our ideas together
- the iron on embroidered logos now for sale as an alternative for parents who source their own tops and jackets – thanks to Leisa Miller for making it happen
- continuing to advocate for our school, and for parents and community as partners in student learning
It was unfortunate that in late 2014 the committee’s energy was diverted to responding to the state government’s cuts to teacher funding. We were pleased to contribute to our school’s decision to manage the cuts – through senior staffing changes rather than cutting music, drama and PE programs – but schools are already stretched to the limit and must have more teaching and support staff with the right skills and the time to devote to differing student and family needs.
Many thanks to Amanda Mackinnon for all your support as secretary and deputy chair, fair fairy and Inspiring Stories organiser. Also to Luke Rutherford our treasurer, to Jen Eddington and Cas Wells at TASSO and to Caroline Hyland, Serena How and others for the care and skill you contribute to our school.
This is my final report to you as chairperson. After five years in the role and two years as secretary prior to that, it’s well and truly time to make way for others. Amanda and I are still around, but the time is right to bring fresh perspectives and new energy to the committee.
I wish the incoming committee all the best, especially with the school fair in November, the ongoing Friends of Lagoon Park outdoor classroom/discovery trail project and in continuing to be advocates for our school community and help build even stronger connections with school-community partners.
DFPSA Chairperson 2014-15